- Day/Time: Tuesdays, 5:45-6:45
- Dates: 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 11/7, 11/14 (NO CLASS ON 10/31, Halloween)
- Location: Square Play Cafe at 436 Washington Ave in Washington Square in Holland. There is plenty of street parking in the area.
Beginner level: no previous knowledge of signing or ASL needed.
These classes run in 8-week sessions.
In the Level I class, a certified pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist teaches caregivers and their children 120+ American Sign Language signs to use for functional early communication. Classes are 60 minutes in length and are created for hearing parents/caregivers to attend with their hearing babies. Signs are taught in weekly themes, including everyday signs, alphabet, animals, emotions, family, playtime, bedtime and opposites. We practice signs through direct instruction, interactive games and songs, so every class includes:
- singing songs
- reading books
- moving to music
- playing with fun sensory toys, such as a parachute, bubblemaker, shakers & scarves
- children engage with peers
- parents chat with fellow parents
- learning strategies support speech, language, feeding, positive behavior + literacy development
All classes include a full color My Smart Hands™ curriculum book with a CD of songs to practice signs with. The books have pictures of the signs learned along with descriptions for easy reference long after the class is over!